Monday, January 02, 2006

Oh Great LIght of the World.

I guess I've been hiding, riding out the storm. Sitting, quiet in the cellar, while the tempest uproots,purges, every solid thing above ground, sweeping it all away in one massive, terrible cleansing. The roar was deafening and the fury, magnificent. And me, knowing that there wasn't a thing I could do to control the course of it or orchestrate the outcome.I had no say in what would be taken and what would be left. After the initial terror, strange electric comfort in letting go.

It's been quiet a little while now, and I think it's safe to have a look around-to see if anything's left at all. Will I even recognize the landscape? No, there's not much left and the place doesn't look familiar, but we are alive and we have a chance to begin a new life. The cellar lessons of surrender, trust, and comfort will be the foundation for what lies ahead.

The Lord has lifted me up in a funny, deeply profound and still mostly unspeakable way. He has held me as an infant, wrapped me up, warm and fuzzy, and full. I am helpless in His arms right now and mostly speechless while I get reaquainted with my native tongue, the whispers of a wild and tender love.

My deepest thanks to all you who have so patiently and gently prayed me home. I have been rescued, delivered from darkness. I can feel His love for me for the first time in my life. Alleluia.

Isaiah 49:8-26
God also says:

"When the time's ripe, I answer you. When victory's due, I help you. I form you and use you to reconnect the people with me, to put the land in order, to resettle families on the ruined properties. I tell prisoners, 'Come on out. You're free!' and those huddled in fear, 'It's all right. It's safe now.' There'll be foodstands along all the roads, picnics on all the hills-Nobody hungry, nobody thirsty, shade from the sun, shelter from the wind, for the Compassionate One guides them, takes them to the best springs. I'll make all my mountains into roads, turn them into a superhighway. Look: These coming from far countries, and those, out of the north, these streaming in from the west, and those from all the way down the Nile?"

Heavens raise the roof! Earth, wake the dead!Mountains, send up cheers! God has comforted his people. He has tenderly nursed his beaten-up, beaten-down people.

But Zion said, "I don't get it. God has left me. My Master has forgotten I even exist."

Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But even if mothers forget, I'd never forget you-never. Look, I've written your names on the backs of my hands. The walls you're rebuilding are never out of my sight. Your builders are faster than your wreckers. The demolition crews are gone for good. Look up, look around, look well! See them all gathering, coming to you? As sure as i am the living God-God's Decree-'you're going to put them on like so much jewelry, you're going to use them to dress up like a bride'.

And your ruined land? Your devastated, decimated land? Filled with more people than you know what to do with! And your barbarian enemies, a fading memory. The children born in your exile will be saying, 'It's getting too croweded here. I need more room.' And you'll say to yourself, 'Where on earth did these children come from? I lost everything, had nothing, was exiled and penniless'...I'm the one who's on your side, defending your cause, rescuing your children. And your enemies, crazed and desperate, will turn on themselves...then everyone will know that I, God, have saved you-I, the MIghty One of Jacob." The Message.

18 comments:

Bar L. said...

Jan, great to see you back and really great that you posted a pic. I knew you were attractive because your sons are so handsome - but wow, what a knockout you are!!!

Keep holding on.

Layla

~pen~ said...

yes, jan - it is safe to come out, and yes, the landscape will have changed because you have changed.

i may not be one of the gentle ones, but i sure have been praying for you, so very much.

pen

Curious Servant said...

Heavenly Father... thak you for being with this child of Yours as she passed through some dark times. Thank you for her lightening heart that held close to You.

Bless her Lord as she continues to follow You wherever You may lead.

Amen/

Anonymous said...

It's in the valley that we find out who we are in Him. Blessings for you for 2006.

I read back through some of the black stuff, the dispair and lack of hope, and rejoice that God has brought you though this into something new.

Hope said...

So very thankful to hear you are doing better. Thank you for your prayers too. God bless you.

Melodee said...

That was beautifully written and testimony to a faithful God. He is always the same, no matter the landscape or the storm. :)

Gigi said...

Deep grateful breath...but not to surprised of a one.....glad to see you and anxious to hear all as you process it.

Praying that the whole of 2006 is more Him......and thanking Him for where He has you now....

Anonymous said...

Pat told me about your blog and I read it this morning and cried. It is beautiful what God is doing in your life. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. By the way, your writing is beautiful - I would buy your book!

Lisa (of the Hunter's)

so i go said...

beautiful post, my friend. simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Jan,
What has taken place in your life is a true MIRACLE! I have been blessed hugely by getting to travel on this journey with you. God is using the whole thing to help me BECOME, too. I will speak of this amazing transformation and Abba's faithfulness to the broken for the rest of my days. I will remember God's goodness!!

Your foundation has been laid, Here's to the becoming process. Cheers!

I love you, sis.

K

Dave. said...

Jan, just dropped in and have found your writing so powerful. Have gone back through your posts and I have to agree with one post that I would buy your book. I firmly believe that when it comes to helping people the best people to help are those who have experienced the situations themselves.
I pray that you will keep on stirring us up.

Mark D said...

Just found your blog via that awesome comment (Nelson M quote) you left on Erin W's. I have added you to my favorites and will definitely be back. I am glad your injured son is okay now. Do you play classical guitar or just have an interest in it? I have other questions for you as well, but it seems weird to write here as they do not relate to the post. I didn't find an email address. Mine is on my blog. Have a blessed weekend!

Erin said...

What an amazingly, achingly beautiful place to be... now. I too am thankful for your travelog through the dark place, as you will most certainly be holding hope for those not yet able.

Be blessed, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Jan, Pat mailed me your blog. I am not surprised by the depth and richness of your writing. He is perfect in all His ways. Such rejoicing news. May He continue to turn your mourning into dancing.

Kristi K.(a blast from the past)

Bar L. said...

thinking of you...

Gigi said...

Thinking and hoping to remember to pray for you and waiting to have you tell us more....bring us along on the journey...

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I love affiliate programs, and since this incredible blog have good information... maybe you could add some more info about these programs? Is it out of subject?

However I just want to give you my best luck and keep us posted.

Thanks,
incredible blog

so i go said...

ok, it's time.. you've been away too long.

sit down at the computer and start writing again.

yours is an important voice and we need to hear it.

i'm waiting.

~jeff