Saturday, October 01, 2005

oh help

My heart is rent-like the veil, split down the middle-in pieces-passing away. Will I see God now? Will this usher me in at last to the place that I've looked for my whole life-that holy of holies. Is this when I'm gonna get it-that Jesus died for this rent heart. I've been told I have a new life ahead of me. Now that Steve's really gone, it will be better. I don't believe it yet. I can't see it. I can't see anything. I'm about as lost as a soul could be. I miss him so much and I don't want to believe that he's not coming back, that he won't love me anymore, that I'm alone now. I don't know how to live life without him anymore.

Yes, the word idolatry comes to mind. He was a god I could see and feel and touch. He was there when I was sad, and sick, and crazy-when I didn't know what to do. He was there. He would fix it. He held me,and stroked my hair, and told me everything was gonna be okay. He called me "baby girl". He told me I was beautiful, that I made him want to be a better man. He took care of me.He defended me. I had moments of melting into trust and security like I had never known. What did I have to give in return? My life, my soul, my very self and I paid it too. Anything to have the smallest drop of love and affection. I know it wasn't real love, on his part or mine. I think I always knew, but I was good at pretending and wishing. It was selfish and desperate-a twisted give and take.

And I am alone. I have no friends here really, not friends that I could lean on. No family, no one who isn't paid to be in my life. Alyson comes to see me. She's helping me live the days. She steadies me when I don't want to live or breathe another breath. I know she cares. She is a godsend, but I can't get too attached, because ultimately, she's an illusion. A friend who can't really be my friend. I was watching a show with Seth the other night about a woman who raises these little orphaned kangaroos. She couldn't let the little ones become to attached because they were to be released back into the wild when they were ready. This is my terror-that I can't be attached to these dear people who have been so good to me, who have saved my life in a way because I'm going to have to be released back into the wild of this terrifying world and make my way on my own. I don't know how to stand on my own. I've always had someone taking care of me, helping me, rescuing me, making the way easier. I'm so afraid and lost and deeply, deeply ashamed of my inadequacy. It is a wound that never healed properly, that wasn't attended to, that has left me defective, crippled, an oddity-a grown woman who can't take care of herself or her children. A grown woman who still needs mothering. I don't feel 42, I feel 8 and so small. I am bereft, without comfort and inconsolable. Abandoned.Alone. I could call out,please, please don't leave me. I could beg and plead and still there will be no one. No one. Little children should not be left alone to their grief. I may be 42, but there is a little child in me who is feeling the loss of her only hope and comfort in life all over again, actually, finally feeling it for the first time. It takes me over, wave after wave until I can't breathe. Please don't leave me here-please let me go with you. Where are you? Oh my God, I despise my weakness and need. How does a person go out into the world without first knowing the comfort and security of being loved? It's magnetic, a pull to find something that isn't there, that never will be there, that can never be there.
I know, I know, God is the only one who can heal a thing like that. Right? Well, I can't find God. ANYWHERE. This is the thing I don't understand. Years of crying alone, calling out with the truest heart I could muster-where are you? What have I done that you can't come to me? I'll be good. Please. I'm sorry God. I need you.

3 comments:

Elisha Cuthbert said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bar L. said...

Your raw emotions are almost tangible. I want to say "I understand, I will be your friend, God is there for you" and all the other things people say when they want to take away someone else's pain but don't know how.

You are not alone in your feeling like a little girl. You are not alone in the type of relationship you had with Steve. I am going to read more now....

Thanks for this real, honest blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan
I've just found your webpage and my heart goes out to you in your time of loss. I hope these poems that I've written this year during my time of loss are helpful. They are placed in the order in which I wrote them. Blessings to you.


In Your Time

Lord, nothing is easy right now
This loss intrudes into every part of my life
Forcing changes I don't want to happen
Nothing is exempt from its presence
I can't escape

If I had my choice I would run away
Leaving a message saying
Let me know when it's all over
When the wound is healed
When it doesn't hurt
When it's safe to return

I yearn for things to stay the same
I don't like this change
Why can't it be as it was?
Why did you have to leave?

And yet, while my head recognises the futility
Of running away
And my whole being yearns to escape
I can see Your hand in this

It’s You who has placed people across my path:
to embrace me with their love
to hold me firm when I’m falling apart
to teach me that this wound will heal.

Help me know deep within
That now is the time to mourn
A time to let go
A time to change
A time to accept the loss
A time to trust that there will be a time
When I can move on

My wound healed
My soul restored
In Your time

Not mine.

Jaybe 2005


Loss

I struggle, Lord
To cope with this time of loss
So many feelings
Are flowing through me
Sometimes I feel torn apart
Fragmented into little bits
All disconnected

My heart aches within me
My whole being is affected
Body, mind, soul, spirit
I hurt everywhere

There is a heaviness
That saps my energy
Pulls me down
Takes over my life
I feel bereft and alone

This loss controls my life
Intrudes on my thoughts
Shocks me at unexpected moments
Stops me dead in my tracks

So many changes
Everything is new
This is not what I expected
Not how I thought it would be

Yet, Lord, I know you are here
I feel your presence
You cocoon me with you love
You whisper words of encouragement

I feel your healing balm
I hear your words
"Weeping endures for a night
but joy comes in the morning"

Help me to trust that you are in control
When everything seems out of control

As I struggle to cope with life
Give me your strength
To allow myself time to heal
To be patient
Not to rush
So that once again
I can sing in the shadow of your wings

Jaybe 2005

Flying Free

Lord, you’ve turned my world upside down
Everything is different
I feel like an alien in a strange land
Cut off from all that I knew

As I struggle to adjust to my loss
I find myself pushing you away
Spurning your advances
Somehow I feel unworthy of your love
Cut off, abandoned
Forlorn and alone

Like a bird with a broken wing
I hide myself away
Not wanting to feel the pain
Trying to heal myself

And yet, deep inside
I know that this it is not how it should be
You’re always there right beside me
Assuring me I am not alone
Waiting for me to let you in

Lord, can I take this risk?
Can I allow you to come close to me?
Would you heal my broken heart?
Will my broken wings ever
Regain strength again?

Can I hear your voice?
Lovingly stress that
I must give up being in control
I must abandon myself to you
Only then can I experience your grace
Embracing and healing my heart

Yes, Lord, I do hear your voice
Just as a bird with a healed wing
Soars upward again
Set my spirit free
So that I too may soar like an eagle
Flying free in you

Jaybe 2005